Small Arms Course
The Small Arms Course is just the course for those who own a pistol and a rifle and want to be able to defend themselves, loved ones, and family with either. The Small Arms Course combines Valor Ridge’s Pistolcraft I and Rifleman I into four straight days, providing you with an opportunity to become proficient with your pistol and rifle in one training class. Americans in record numbers are purchasing firearms for a variety of reasons, and getting training for them is a necessary step in protecting what you hold dear. You will experience two days of training on each type of gun, becoming well-rounded with each weapon.
During the four-day course, pistol material covered includes: proper marksmanship, draw and presentation of the pistol, mental aspects of fighting such as attitude and purpose, pistol manipulations with one and two hands, stoppage clearances, and shooting while moving.
You will also experience several drills in which you will negotiate obstacles while shooting, fire from unconventional positions, shoot and hit targets at what many consider rifle distances, and shoot a confidence course designed to challenge both new and experienced shooters alike.
Brief classroom sessions will be interspersed throughout the course with lectures focused on martial attitude, gunfight analysis and tendencies, pre-assault signs and cues, marksmanship, and purpose.
Rifle material covered includes: shooting fundamentals, firing from the muzzle out to 300 meters, presentation of the rifle from various positions, (traditional and improvised) manipulation of the rifle under stress, marksmanship, properly zeroing your rifle, holdovers, compressed application of marksmanship, one and two handed manipulations of the rifle, low-light shooting, close quarters shooting, transitions to pistol, shooting on the move, stoppage clearance, positional shooting, (conventional and improvised) proper use of/presentation of the rifle from the sling, and team tactics. Training is only open to legal, US Citizens or permanent residents (green card holders) per ITAR (22 CFR §§120-130)
- Pistol (Bring a spare pistol if you have one.)
- Magazine-fed rifle ZEROED FOR 100 YARDS in an intermediate or battle rifle cartridge (5.56, 7.62x39, 5.45x39, .308, .30-06, etc…) Bring a spare rifle also zeroed for 100 yards if you have one.
- White light (attached to rifle)
- Sling—two point sling is recommended.
- Pistol magazines to hold 50 rounds per drill. (Double stack mags=4-5, Single-stack mags=7)
- 4 rifle magazines
- 600 rounds of factory pistol ammunition
- 600 rounds of factory loaded rifle ammunition. M855 (Green tip) or 7n6 is fine for most drills, but we will be shooting steel on some drills so bring other non-green tip (xm193 or similar variant) and commercial 5.45 ammunition as well.
- Quality kydex or leather holster that stays open during reholstering. Soft holsters are not allowed in our courses.
- Ballistic eye protection. Lowe's or Walmart has these. You will also need clear eye protection.
- Electronic ear protection
- Pen and paper
- Bug spray
- Rain gear
- Gun cleaning gear
- You will need to bring a lunch
There is no minimum age to take this class. However, students under 18 years of age are required to attend the class together with a participating adult.
Cancellation/ Refund/ Exchange Policy:
Booking a class at Valor Ridge is a commitment to train on your given course dates. Tuition sale is final. We do not offer refunds or transfers to students who cancel or fail to show up for class. We do offer refund or credit in the highly unlikely event Valor Ridge finds it necessary to cancel a course. This policy is firm and there will be no exceptions.
Disclaimer:As the result of numerous issues that have arisen over the years, we will no longer allow internally-modified firearms once they leave the factory in our classes, unless the work was performed by a certified, qualified gunsmith.
Examples of modifications not requiring a gunsmith are:
- Aftermarket sights
- Aftermarket rails
- Original Equipment Manufacturer replacement parts including springs, connectors, firing pins, etc…
- Mil-spec bolts and bolt carriers (Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense, CMMG, LMT, etc...)
- Retaining plates for AK trigger pins (Krebs Custom retainer plates)
- Stipling on pistols or pistol grips
- Firearms converted or rebuilt by manufacturers such as Rifle Dynamics, Krebs Custom, ETC…
- Complete factory lower receivers
- Complete factory upper receivers