Preserve and Defend
Rarely will you find a class that not only will teach you how to defend yourself and your family, but also keep them alive and healthy during a disaster. Preserve and Defend is Valor Ridge's Pistolcraft 1, Patriot Nurse's Medical Prep 101/201, and Valor Ridge's Rifleman 1 combined over 6 consecutive days of training to provide you with the most well-rounded approach to defense and health preservation possible in one convenient location. Individuals, couples, and families will benefit from this week of instruction and take home valuable medical knowledge along with self-defense skills with both the pistol and rifle. Training is only open to legal, US Citizens or permanent residents (green card holders) per ITAR (22 CFR §§120-130)
Course Equipment Requirements:
- Magazine-fed rifle RELIABLY ZEROED FOR 100 YARDS in an intermediate or battle rifle cartridge (5.56, 7.62x39, 5.45x39, .308, .30-06, etc…)
- Sling—two point sling is recommended. (Bring a spare rifle if you have one, also zeroed for 100 yards.)
- 600 rounds of factory loaded rifle ammunition. M855 (Green tip) or 7n6 is fine for most drills, but we will be shooting steel on some drills so bring other non-green tip (xm193 or similar variant) and commercial 5.45 ammunition as well.
- 4 rifle magazines
- White light (attached to rifle)
- Pistol ( Bring a spare pistol if you have one.)
- Pistol magazines to hold 50 rounds per drill. (Double stack mags=4-5. Single-stack mags=7-8)
- 600 rounds of factory pistol ammunition
- Quality kydex or leather holster that stays open during reholstering. Soft holsters are not allowed in our courses.
- Ballistic eye protection. Lowe's or Walmart has these.
- Electronic ear protection
- Pen and paper
- Bug spray
- Rain gear
- Gun cleaning gear
- You will need to bring a lunch
There is no minimum age to take this class. However, students under 18 years of age are required to attend the class together with a participating adult.
Booking a class at Valor Ridge is a commitment to train on your given course dates. Tuition sale is final. We do not offer refunds or transfers to students who cancel or fail to show up for class. We do offer refund or credit in the highly unlikely event Valor Ridge finds it necessary to cancel a course. This policy is firm and there will be no exceptions.
As the result of numerous issues that have arisen over the years, we will no longer allow internally-modified firearms once they leave the factory in our classes. Additionally, we do not allow the use of reloaded ammunition in our courses. Our safety record is one of the best in the industry and we pledge to keep it that way – our students deserve no less.
Internally-modified firearms with non-OEM parts (Original Equipment Manufacturer) and reloaded ammunition pose a serious and demonstrable risk to those present in class. When an internally-modified firearm explodes during a drill, or fires more than one round per trigger press, it poses a clear and undeniable threat to every person present. While this scenario may seem unlikely to some, it has been our professional experience that the catastrophic failure rate of home-built/internally-modified guns is significantly higher than standard, factory assembled firearms. In fact, an internally-modified firearm that works is as uncommon as a factory gun that does not.
During our classes, we have witnessed internally-modified/home-built firearms explode and/or go full-auto. We have also witnessed reloaded ammunition blow up guns and/or render them inoperable. Our sample size includes thousands of students, thousands of guns, and millions of rounds of ammunition fired during classes. There have only been two instances of factory firearms functioning improperly while we have observed home-built/internally-modified firearms completely and catastrophically fail by the dozens.
Our policy change has not come about due to a knee-jerk reaction to any one incident, but it is the culmination of repeated, observable, and predictable events. We implemented this change because our students are real people with real families. When our students step up to the Valor Ridge firing line, they expect us to guide them in a safe and professional manner. It is our job, indeed our duty, to facilitate a learning environment that is conducted on a secure, controlled range with properly functioning firearms and engaged people.
As our students, you expect us to conduct your training responsibly based on our professional experience and expertise. Because we value your trust in us, we will not jeopardize your safety by permitting haphazardly assembled weapons from uncontrolled environments. Neither will we allow your training experience to become someone else's proving ground for equipment. Weapons are not lab experiments—the situation demands that firearms be rugged, reliable, and robust. They need to work both on and off the range without exception-- every single time.
To make our policy clear, the following modifications are allowed in our courses:
- Aftermarket sights
- Aftermarket rails
- Original Equipment Manufacturer replacement parts including springs, connectors, firing pins, etc…
- Mil-spec bolts and bolt carriers (Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense, CMMG, LMT, etc...)
- Retaining plates for AK trigger pins (Krebs Custom retainer plates)
- Stipling on pistols or pistol grips
- Aftermarket triggers that are installed AT THE FACTORY and at least 5 lbs in pull.
- Firearms converted or rebuilt by manufacturers such as Rifle Dynamics, Krebs Custom, ETC…
- Complete factory lower receivers
- Complete factory upper receivers
The following modifications are NOT allowed in our courses:
- Aftermarket triggers installed outside the factory
- Home-built rifles or pistols
- Aftermarket barrels installed after leaving the factory
- Non-OEM replacement parts
- Aftermarket gas blocks installed outside the factory
- Any lightened, competition style bolts or bolt carriers, firing pins, or triggers
If you choose to ignore our policy and it is discovered that your firearm has been internally modified, or it is discovered that you are using reloaded/hand-loaded ammunition, then you you will be removed from class without refund. In addition, you alone will be responsible for any damages that occur due to the catastrophic failure of the internally modified gun or hand-loaded ammunition. This is not the time to skimp on quality firearms or ammunition.